Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Collette Rowland







Eager to read the love poetry of the Tanakh, I read the passages assigned in Song of Songs. Let’s set aside the debate of G-d/human love vs. human/human love, and just go with the human/human, “I love you and desire you, so therefore I am going to attempt to express how much with words.”

The passages described the physical features of the loves (Woman: 4:1-5, 7:2-5, 7:7-10; Man: 5:10-16). All I could do was laugh when I read the description of the woman. What a bunch of farmers! My hair is like a herd of goats?! My teeth are like bathed lambs?! My breasts are like fawns? And the man wasn’t much better, all wood, stone and metal – not very cosy.

For my final project, then, I set out to portray how funny I thought this was, through collage. Much to my surprise, beauty came forward. (It surely helped that I started with a Modigliani female form and a Stewart male form.)

So, using those things most precious to us to describe our most precious love evidently works!

No comments:

Post a Comment